Take it a Step at a Time
Even though using the toilet seems like such an easy process to a parent, it is all new to a toddler. You can’t expect them to pick up on everything right away the first time. Instead, take it one step at a time while you walk them through the whole process.
- Sit on the potty clothed and/or diapered so they know how it feels.
- Sit on the potty naked or diaperless so they know how it feels.
- Teach them how to take their own pants off (if they don’t already know how).
- Wipe for them, showing how it is done; start with a wet wipe and eventually move to toilet paper.
- Let them wipe unassisted.
- Move the potty closer to the big toilet as you have more successes.
- Transition to a toddler seat on the toilet.
In addition to the actual potty process, you will need to decide when to transition from diapers to underwear during the day and eventually at night, but we will touch on this more shortly.