Try Baby Massage
Another way to relieve gas pain is to give their digestive system a little bit of help through baby massage. There are a few options you can try to help you find something that works for your baby.
- Lay your baby down on their back across your lap or on a soft surface.
- Gently rub their tummies in a clockwise manner. Why clockwise? Because the intestines work in this direction and you can help stimulate their activity this way and provide relief.
- There’s no harm that will come from massaging counter-clockwise, but it may be less effective on the whole, especially if it’s baby gas specifically and not colic that is causing the problem.
- Carefully place your baby across your knees with their stomach down.
- Gently and slowly moving your legs upwards and downwards each time to give them a little abdominal massage.
- Make sure you’re holding them or that they are secure so that they don’t fall or roll off, and be very tender in your movements.
- You’re not kicking them so much as providing a less aggressive version of what a massage chair might do for an adult.
- Rest your baby with their tummy facing down across your forearm.
- Allow their head to rest in the palm of your hand so you can properly support their neck.
- Sway them from side to side to simulate a rocking movement.
- As you do this, gently and soothingly rub their back.
Advertisement - Scroll To Continue